BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) Explained
Why do I need an APLH qualification?
You must hold the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) qualification before you can apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol. Once you have your APLH/SCPLH qualification, you may then apply for your personal licence.
Every sale of retail alcohol in England and Wales, from a licensed premises, must be made or authorised by a personal licence holder.
Licensed premises must have an allocated personal licence holder. The allocated personal licence holder for premises is known as the designated premises supervisor (DPS). It is the premise’s DPS that authorises every sale of alcohol.
What is BIIAB?
BIIAB are one of nine accredited personal licence qualification providers, which are currently approved by the Home Secretary in the UK. BIIAB is the awarding body of the British Institute of Innkeeping, which is the professional body for the licensed retail industry. The BIIAB APLH is a prestigious and market-leading qualification.
BIIAB specialise in developing and awarding qualifications to support people at all levels of the licensed trade. This includes qualifications for everyone from bar and retail staff, to business managers. Inn Confidence are proud to be a BIIAB Grade One Centre.
Who are BIIAB APLH courses for?
BIIAB APLH courses are for anyone authorising the retail sale of alcohol from licensed premises, including:
- Pubs and bars
- Convenience stores
- Casinos and bingo halls
- Sports and social clubs
- Leisure parks
- Entertainment venues
What does the BIIAB APLH qualification cover?
The BIIAB APLH covers the licensing laws and social responsibilities that personal licence holders, involved in selling retail alcohol in England and Wales, must conform to. Key topics covered by the APLH include:
- The application process for a personal licence. Once you’ve attained the APLH, Inn Confidence can also take care of the personal licence application process for you
- The personal licence holder’s roles and responsibilities
- The effects of alcohol on the body and the relative strengths of different drinks
- Responsible sale of alcohol
- Protection of children from harm, in relation to alcohol
- The functions, roles and responsibilities of licensing authorities
- Penalties that you can face if you fail to comply with the law
- Unauthorised licensable activities
- Specific prohibitions for the sale of alcohol
- Permittable temporary licensable activities
- The premises licence
- Designated premises supervisor (DPS) roles and duties
- Police powers to suspend or close licensed premises
- Operating schedules, content and purpose
- Rights of entry to licensed premises
Why choose Inn Confidence as your BIIAB APLH training provider?
Established in 1996, we are an award-winning BIIAB APLH training company and personal licensing consultancy. We are dedicated to providing the prestigious and market-leading BIIAB qualifications to anyone involved, or becoming involved, in the licensed retail industry.
We firmly believe that we are the best choice for attaining your APLH, in preparation for your personal licence application, because:
- We run personal licence courses across the UK, in over 70 towns and cities, so we’re sure to be hosting a personal licence course near you in the near future
- We are founder members of the AQLT (Alliance of Quality Licensing Trainers), the elite group of BIIAB approved centres
- Since 1996, we’ve trained many thousands of successful candidates and provided services to a host of major clients including Holiday Inn, Iceland, Liverpool FC, Costco Wholesale, Mecca Bingo and Crowne Plaza, amongst many others
- Our candidates have very high pass rates and we offer our courses at very competitive prices
How do I get started?
We are constantly working to make the licensing process as convenient as possible.
Click here to find a BIIAB APLH training course near you. We run courses across the length and breadth of the country, so we’re sure to be hosting a course near you in the near future.
Why not take our online APLH personal licence mock exam? It’s a great way to test your knowledge, to prepare for the real exam and find areas that you need to work on.
Once you’re confident, book your APLH exam online.
If you’re still unsure of what’s involved in getting licenced, or if you’d like to get more information about our services, contact our friendly team for advice.