How To Get A Licence To Sell Alcohol In The UK

Personal & Premises Licences Explained

This article explains how to get a licence to sell alcohol. To sell alcohol by retail in England and Wales and in Scotland there needs to be a Premises Licence for the premises or location where the sales occur and a personal licence for the individual who makes those sales, or authorises other people to sell on his or her behalf.

Typically therefore a pub, shop or restaurant will have a Premises Licence authorising the retail sales of alcohol and the person making those sales or authorising staff to sell for him or her will have a personal licence.

Every sale of alcohol by retail must be made by or authorised by a personal licence holder, so each premises with a premises licence requires at least one personal licence holder for the business. An application for a personal licence requires the applicant first to gain the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH*) qualification in England & Wales or the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH) for applications in Scotland.

Click to find APLH training courses near you and book online.

Applications for personal licences and premises licences are made to the Licensing Authority (England & Wales) or Licensing Board (Scotland).

Inn Confidence offers a comprehensive licensing application service for both personal licence applications and premises licence applications.

How Do I get my Personal Licence?

England & Wales Applications for a Personal Licence in England & Wales are normally made to the Licensing Authority where the applicant resides.
To apply for a personal licence an applicant must submit:

  • A completed application form
  • 2 photos, appropriately endorsed
  • Disclosure of Convictions (DBS) certificate
  • Disclosure of convictions and declaration form
  • The appropriate fee
  • A certificate of a relevant licensing qualification (such as the BIIAB APLH – click to learn more about the BIIAB APLH qualification)

How To Apply For A Personal Licence

For applicants that choose not to make their own application, Inn Confidence provides an application service for personal licences that involves us liaising with the applicant and the Licensing Authority throughout the process, securing the CRB/DBS certificate and completing and submitting all forms of application. Please click here for our – personal licence application service.

How Do I Get My Premises Licence?

A Premises Licence is required for any place where licensable activities occur.
Such activities include:

  • The Retail Sale of Alcohol (for which a personal licence is also required)
  • The provision of Regulated Entertainment
  • The provision of Late Night Refreshment.
  • An application for a Premises Licence is made to the appropriate Licensing Authority.

The premises licence application process involves the completion of an application form, the creation and submission of an effective Operating Schedule and scale plans. Notice of the application must also be posted in the local press and on the premises.

Inn Confidence provides a fixed-fee licence application service for those seeking the grant, variation or transfer of a premises licence, as well as for a range of other licensing applications. Please click here for our – premises licence application service or premises licence transfer application service.

Contact Inn Confidence today for further information on the licences you require and how to get licensed.