Personal & Premises Licence Application in Birmingham

To sell alcohol by retail in England and Wales and in Scotland there needs to be a Premises Licence for the premises or location where the sales occur and a personal licence for the individual who makes those sales, or authorises other people to sell on his or her behalf.
Typically therefore a pub, shop or restaurant will have a Premises Licence authorising the retail sales of alcohol and the person making those sales or authorising staff to sell for him or her will have a personal licence.

Every sale of alcohol by retail must be made by or authorised by a personal licence holder, so each premises with a premises licence requires at least one personal licence holder for the business. An application for a personal licence requires the applicant first to gain the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH*) qualification in England & Wales or the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH) for applications in Scotland.

How Do I Get My Personal Licence?

England & Wales Applications for a personal licence in England & Wales are normally made to the Licensing Authority where the applicant resides.

To apply for a personal licence an applicant must submit:

  • A completed application form
  • 2 photos, appropriately endorsed
  • Disclosure of Convictions (DBS) certificate
  • Disclosure of convictions and declaration form
  • The appropriate fee
  • A certificate of a relevant licensing qualification (such as the BIIAB APLH – click here view all available course dates)

For applicants that choose not to make their own application, Inn Confidence provides an application service for personal licences that involves us liaising with the applicant and the Licensing Authority throughout the process, securing the CRB/DBS certificate and completing and submitting all forms of application.

How can I take the course?

Inn Confidence provides classes for the BIIAB APLH in Birmingham
We can offer a 1 day course option (typically from 9.00am to 5.00pm), involves a thorough training session and is followed by the 40-minute multiple-choice exam. Or you can book our fast track option (see below for more details)

1 Day BIIAB APLH Course

Inn Confidence provides classes for the BIIAB APLH throughout England & Wales. Each class lasts one-day (typically from 9.00am to 5.00pm), involves a thorough training session and is followed by the 40-minute multiple-choice exam.

  • Handbook and Joining Confirmation
  • Full Day Course
  • Exam Fees
  • BIIAB APLH Certificate

Fast Track (3hrs) BIIAB APLH Course

  • Revision Book
  • Mock Exam Papers
  • Times/Dates/Location to suit
  • Maximum of Just 4 People Per Session
  • Online Exam with Instant Result – No 3 day wait for result
  • Free Immediate Re-sit (if needed)
  • Certificate Fast Tracked (printed next day)
  • Add extra candidates to the session for Just £75+vat

Our Locations

1 Day BIIAB APLH Course Location

Jurys Inn Birmingham
245 Broad St,
Birmingham B1 2HQ,

Fast Track BIIAB APLH Course Location (3 hr session)

12-22 Newhall Street,
B3 3AS,

How Do I get my Premises Licence

A Premises Licence is required for any place where licensable activities occur.Such activities include

  • The Retail Sale of Alcohol (for which a personal licence is also required)
  • The provision of Regulated Entertainment
  • The provision of Late Night Refreshment.

An application for a Premises Licence is made to the appropriate Licensing Authority.

This process involves the completion of an application form, the creation and submission of an effective Operating Schedule and scale plans. Notice of the application must also be posted in the local press and on the premises.

Inn Confidence provides a fixed-fee application service for those seeking the grant, variation or transfer of a premises licence, as well as for a range of other licensing applications.

INN Confidence provides a fixed-fee service for applications for the:

  • Grant of a new Premises Licence (£650 ex vat)
  • Full variation of an existing Premises Licence (£450 ex vat)
  • Prices exclude vat and licensing disbursements

What does this cover?

  • Risk Assessment by an experienced consultant
  • Liaison with the applicant and the responsible authorities
  • Preparation, completion & submission of all forms of application including the Operating Schedule
  • Preparation and the posting of notices for the premises and in the local press
  • Negotiation with any concerned parties throughout the consultation period

What would be extra?

The cost of suitable layout plans to accompany the application (which we can arrange for you), the newspaper notice fee (usually around £200-£300), the Licensing Application fee (grant or full variation is usually £100 or £190) and Representation at a licensing hearing (if there are stubborn objections that cannot be negotiated away).

What other applications will INN Confidence process?

  • Minor variation of a premises licence
  • Transfer of a Premises Licence
  • Appointment of a new Designated Premises Supervisor
  • Issue of Temporary Event Notices
  • and, of course, the Grant of a Personal Licence

For what businesses have INN Confidencesuccessfully gained a premises licence?

  •   Cafes & Coffee shops
  • Pubs & Wine Bars
  •  Night Clubs
  •  Convenience Stores & off-licences
  • Supermarkets
  •  Theatres & Cinemas
  •  Hotels & Restaurants
  •  Community Centres & Village Halls
  •  Late night take-aways
  •  Sports & Leisure Centres
  •  Social Clubs
  •  Service Stations & Truck-stops
  •  Florists & Hairdressers
  •  Breweries & alcohol distribution centres
  •   and even a Tall Ship!

Why choose Inn Confidence?

  • Minor variation of a premises licence
  • Highly regarded and experienced licensing consultants
  • National coverage
  • Fixed-fee on all applications
  • Fully managed from consultation to completion