Conducting and authorising the sale of alcohol seems like a pretty simple process. You check for ID, you put it through the till and send your customer on their way. But there is a whole lot more that goes into it before that. Let’s get started!

If you work in a bar, café, convenience store or another type of venue and you wish to sell alcohol, someone will be named as the Designated Premises Supervisor and will hold a personal licence. That personal will be named on the Premises Licence. However, this does not mean that you necessarily need one (personal licence) to be employed in one of these businesses. But, for an individual that has a valid personal licence, you can authorise the sale of alcohol in accordance with the conditions of the premises licence.

A personal licence is valid indefinitely, unless you breach the regulations. In which case, it may be forfeited or revoked.

So, how can you apply for your personal licence?

You must be at least 18, having not had a licence forfeited in the last 5 years is eligible to apply. However, there is a strict legal procedure that you must follow before obtaining the right to authorise alcohol sales. This ensures that you are a safe and trustworthy candidate to be placed in a role of such responsibility.

First, you must complete the accredited Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders Qualification and be presented with a certificate.

Here are Inn Confidence, we offer the BIIAB APLH online exam, so you can follow the process from the comfort of your own home at a time that suits you. This is the same certificate that will be provided with the standard 1-day in-person course. We can provide you with:

  • Revision book
  • Mock Exam
  • Online course material
  • Online exam
  • Instant result
  • Free unlimited re-sits

With this handy option, your results are processed instantly and your certificate is fast-tracked for your convenience – no more anxious waiting. Plus, we know that it’s a hefty price to pay again if you don’t pass first time. So, we offer FREE resits to every candidate! [CLICK HERE] to start the process.

The Next Step: Local Councils and Licensing Authorities

To apply for a personal licence Alcohol applicants must be 18 years of age or above and will need the following:

  • Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders Qualification certificate(the original)
  • Personal Licence application form – obtained from local councils or Licensing Authorities
  • Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate (this replaces the CRB check)
  • Two passport-size photos – signed by a professional to prove the identity of the applicant
  • Application fee – £37 

We can handle this process for you, ensuring that everything is up-to-date and ready to be approved. We also include the handling of mandatory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. This is an important step in the process which ensures that you, as the personal licence holder are a safe and suitable candidate.

Our full Personal Licence Application Service will include:

  • Criminal record checks
  • The completion of personal licence application forms
  • Completion of a criminal record declaration
  • Provide endorsement of your photographs
  • Submit your application to your local council or licensing authority

You can [CLICK HERE] to get going with the application. We can’t wait to help you along the way!

Open chat