Personal Licence Course Oxford

To sell alcohol by retail in Oxford there needs to be a premises licence for the premises or location where the sales occur and a personal licence for the individual who makes those sales, or authorises other people to sell on his or her behalf.

Typically, therefore a pub, shop or restaurant in Oxford will have a premises licence authorising the retail sales of alcohol and the person making those sales or authorising staff to sell for him or her will have a personal licence.

Every sale of alcohol by retail must be made by or authorised by a personal licence holder, so each premises with a premises licence requires at least one personal licence holder for the business. An application for a personal licence requires the applicant first to gain the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) qualification in England and Wales.

How do i get my personal licence Oxford?

Oxford applications for a personal licence in England & Wales are normally made to the licensing authority where the applicant resides.

To apply for a personal licence in Oxford an applicant must submit:

  • A completed application form
  • 2 photos, appropriately endorsed
  • Disclosure of Convictions (DBS) certificate
  • Disclosure of convictions and declaration form
  • The appropriate fee
  • A certificate of a relevant licensing qualification (such as the BIIAB APLH)

For applicants that choose not to make their own application, Inn Confidence provides an application service for personal licences that involves us liaising with the applicant and the licensing authority throughout the process, securing the CRB/DBS certificate and completing and submitting all forms of application.

How can I take the personal licence course in Oxford?

Traditionally, the BIIAB APLH (Award For Personal Licence Holders) was held (and still is) over a 1 day course, normally in a hotel function room with around 10-30 candidates. This was followed by a paper examination around 4pm, with the exam papers then being posted back to the examination board for marking.

Previously we would have had our results back within around 3 days, although occasionally this could have been nearer 5.

Inn Confidence offer BIIAB personal licence online exams. Our online exams provide an instant result, free re-sit(s), and the opportunity to take your personal licence exam at home on your own laptop.

Some companies might still be offering the BIIAB APLH as a one day course but for the time being, especially in these uncertain times, we are only offering the personal licence online.

Our personal licence online at home APLH exam is ideal for anyone who cannot dedicate a full day and those in a hurry for their exam result (instant result) and certificate FAST TRACKED (around 3-5 days).

Step 1 – Make your Personal Licence Course Oxford online booking
Step 2 – You will receive your welcome email instantly which includes e-book and online presentation
Step 3 – Let us know when you are ready for your exam and we will set you up
Step 4 – Result provided instantly – no 5 day wait for your result

How much does it cost?

£125+vat and £75+vat for any subsequent candidate (on the same booking)
This includes all revision material, one free re-sit, exam fees and certificate.

There are no hidden extras.

  • Take exam at home or workplace at ANY time of day (or night)
  • Results available immediately
  • Unlimited re-sits (if needed)
  • Certificate fast tracked and normally back at our office within 3 days
  • E-cert available within 24hrs
  • £125+vat and add other candidates for just £75+vat (on the same booking)

What type of equirpment do i need?

  • Laptop or desktop PC
  • Built in web camera (or standalone) – most laptops have them as standard
  • We can help you set the exam up should you have any issues

What’s the exam like?

The BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders consists of 40 multiple choice questions.

You must score at least 28 of the 40 questions correctly to pass the exam.

The qualification comprises of:

  • The roles, responsibilities and functions of licensing authorities within the framework of the licensing objectives
  • The application process for a personal licence
  • The role and legal responsibilities of the personal licence holder and the penalties relating to failure to comply with the law
  • The premises licence
  • The content and purpose of operating schedules
  • The role and duties of the designated premises supervisor
  • Unauthorised and temporary licensable activities
  • Rights of entry to licensed premises
  • Police powers with regard to suspension and closure of licensed premises
  • The specific prohibitions for the sale of alcohol
  • The strengths of alcoholic drinks, and the effects of alcohol on the human body
  • The protection of children from harm
  • The responsible retail sale of alcohol.

Assessment: 40 Multiple choice questions

How do i get my premises licence in Oxford?

A premises licence can be applied for by an individual who is 18 or over, a company that operates the business or an organisation such as a charity or educational institution. Once granted, the individual, company or organisation becomes the licence holder with responsibility for the legal operation of the premises.

Most sales of alcohol are sales of alcohol by retail, regardless of the amount of alcohol purchased, and all sales will therefore require a premises licence and a designated premises supervisor.

How do i apply for a premises licence in Oxford?

An Application for a premises licence is made to the licensing authority in the area where the premises are situated. The application itself consists of:

  • Application form (sent either by post or electronically)
    • Operating Schedule
    • DPS details and a signed consent form (if application is for sale of alcohol by retail)
    • Plan of the premises in a specific format
    • Document showing the applicant is entitled to work in the UK
    • Application fee

The premises licence application will then need to be advertised:

  • In the local newspaper; and
  • An A4-size notice displayed on or outside the premises


Inn Confidence provides a fixed-fee service for premises licence applications for the:

Grant of a new Premises Licence (£650 ex vat)
Full variation of an existing Premises Licence (£500 ex vat)
Prices exclude vat and licensing disbursements

What does this cover?

  • Risk Assessment by an experienced consultant
  • Liaison with the applicant and the responsible authorities
  • Preparation, completion & submission of all forms of application including the Operating Schedule
  • Preparation of notice for posting at the premises and arrangement for publication in the local press
  • Negotiation with any concerned parties throughout the consultation period

What would be extra?

The cost of suitable layout plans to accompany the application (which we can arrange for you), the newspaper notice fee (usually around £200-£300), the licensing application fee (grant or full variation is usually £100 or £190) and representation at a licensing hearing (if there are stubborn objections that cannot be negotiated away).

What other applications will Inn Confidence manage?

  • Minor variation of a premises licence
  • Transfer of a premises licence
  • Appointment of a new designated premises supervisor
  • Issue of temporary event notices
  • The grant of a personal licence

Why choose Inn Confidence?

  • Highly regarded, experienced and award winning licensing consultants
  • National coverage
  • Fixed-fee on all applications
  • Fully managed from consultation to completion

Call today for a chat about your requirements.
call 0151 558 1783 or email

Premises Licence FAQ’s

A premises licence is granted by a licensing authority to permit one or more licensable activities to take place on the premises.  The licensable activities are:

Sale of alcohol by retail
Supply of alcohol in club premises (under the terms of a Club Premises certificate)
Provision of regulated entertainment
Provision of late-night refreshment

A premises licence can be applied for by an individual who is 18 or over, a company that operates the business or an organisation such as a charity or educational institution.
Once granted, the individual, company or organisation becomes the licence holder with responsibility for the legal operation of the premises.
Most sales of alcohol are sales of alcohol by retail. A sale by retail is a sale of alcohol in any quantity to a member of the public. This requires a premises licence and a designated premises supervisor (who must be the holder of a personal licence).

The consultation period is 28 days from receipt of a valid application.  If no representations are received the licence shall be granted the day after the end of that consultation period.
If relevant representations are made against the application, a hearing will be held within 20 working days following the end of the consultation period, where the matter will be decided by the Licensing Sub-Committee

You’ll be charged a fee that’s based on the rateable value of the property.

Application fees range from £100 to £1,905, depending on the fee band of your venue.
If your premises doesn’t have a rateable value it will fall into the lowest fee band.

You can view the fee schedule ‘here’

When the application is made the responsible authorities or any other person are permitted to make representations (objections) to the application. However, these representations must be relevant to the licensing objectives and must not be either frivolous or vexatious.

Not to make the application. However, there must be a personal licence holder nominated to be the designated premises supervisor (DPS) when the licence includes the sale of alcohol by retail is granted, and you are ready to operate under the premises licence.

Once a premises licence has been granted the licensing authority will issue the following:

The main premises licence.
A premises licence summary.

It is a requirement that the premises licence summary or a certified copy is displayed at the premises and the main premises licence should also be kept in a safe place at the premises

No – a personal licence holder does not need to be on the premises. Although each and every sale of alcohol must be authorised by a personal licence holder, unless there is a specific condition on your premises licence saying so, then a personal licence holder does not need to be on the premises when alcohol sales are taking place. However, the staff working at the premises must be aware that they have been authorised to sell alcohol and to know the name of the DPS that has authorised them to make the sale.

Premises licences will be granted for the life of the business.  A licence may be revoked, suspended or surrendered. An annual fee must also be paid to maintain the licence.

You will be charged a fee that’s based on the rateable value of your property. Application fees range from £100 to £1,905, depending on the fee band of your venue. If your premises doesn’t have a rateable value it will fall into the lowest fee band, such as residential properties. Please see the rates table ‘here’

Holders of premises licences must pay an annual fee set by the Government. This fee is due each year on the anniversary of the date of the grant of the licence and paid to the licensing authority that granted the licence. If this is not paid, the licence can be suspended.

There are four licensable activities created within the Licensing Act 2003. A premises licence, club premises certificate or temporary event notice can authorise one or more of the licensable activities.

These licensable activities are:

Retail sale of alcohol.
Supply of alcohol in clubs.
Regulated entertainment.
Late night refreshment.

Regulated entertainment comprises providing certain entertainment for an audience or spectators. The following activities are classed as entertainment:

Performance of a play
Exhibition of a film
Performance of live or recorded music
Performance of dance
Indoor sports

Please read our guide on regulated entertainment ‘here’

Late night refreshment is defined as the provision of hot food or hot drink for consumption on or off the premises between the hours of 11pm and 5am. This is a licensable activity

The fundamental principles of licensing law are known as the licensing objectives

They are as follows:

  • Prevention of crime and disorder.
  • Public safety.
  • Prevention of public nuisance.
  • Protection of children from harm

Please read our guide on the licensing objectives ‘here’

If the licensing authority do not receive any representations after the 28 day consultation period, the licence will be granted.

If there is a relevant representation from a responsible authority or interested party, then the application will be presented to the Licensing Sub-Committee for their determination. The hearing for the sub-committee will be arranged within 28 days following the initial 28 day consultation period.

You can check the ‘rateable value’ of your property ‘here’ – this is set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and used by your local council to calculate your business rates bill.

The designated premises supervisor (DPS) is a personal licence holder  named on the premises licence as being in day to day control at the premises where the sale of alcohol takes place.
Any premises selling alcohol which does not have a DPS appointed to  the premises licence is in breach of licensing law

Open chat