The Licensing Act 2003 Explained

The Licensing Act 2003 came into force on November 24th 2005 and transformed the way that premises and people operate in relation to the sale of alcohol, entertainment (such as music and dancing), and the ability to sell hot food and drink after 11pm.

The Licensing Act 2003 created four different types of Licences: Personal Licences – granted to an individual. Premises Licences – granted for premises. Club Premises Certificates – granted for premises where qualifying criteria are met and the licensable activities (such as supply of alcohol and entertainment) take place for members of the club and their guests. Temporary Event Notices – allow licensable activities to take place on a one off (temporary) basis.
Businesses, organisations, and individuals who want to sell or supply alcohol in England and Wales must have a licence or other authorisation from a Licensing Authority – usually a local council.

How to get a licence to sell alcohol | Licensing guidance

To sell alcohol by retail in England and Wales and in Scotland there needs to be a Premises Licence for the premises or location where the sales occur and a Personal Licence for the individual who makes those sales, or authorises other people to sell on his or her behalf.

Typically, therefore a pub, shop or restaurant will have a Premises Licence authorising the retail sales of alcohol and the person making those sales or authorising staff to sell for him or her will have a Personal Licence.

Every sale of alcohol by retail must be made by or authorised by a Personal Licence Holder, so each premises with a Premises Licence requires at least one Personal Licence Holder for the business. An application for a Personal Licence requires the applicant first to gain the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) qualification in England & Wales or the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH) for applications in Scotland.

Applications for Personal licences and Premises licences are made to the Licensing Authority (England & Wales) or Licensing Board (Scotland).

Inn Confidence offers a comprehensive licensing application service for both personal licence applications and premises licence applications.

How do I get my personal licence? | Licensing guidance

Applications for a Personal Licence in England & Wales are made to the Licensing Authority where the applicant resides.
To apply for a personal licence an applicant must submit:

A completed application form
2 photos, appropriately endorsed
Disclosure of Convictions (DBS) certificate
Disclosure of convictions and declaration form
A certificate of a relevant licensing qualification (such as the BIIAB APLH – click to learn more about the BIIAB APLH qualification)

How to apply for a personal licence? | Licensing guidance

For applicants that choose not to make their own application, Inn Confidence provides an application service for personal licences that involves us liaising with the applicant and the Licensing Authority throughout the process, securing the DBS certificate and completing and submitting all forms of application. Please click here for our personal licence application

How do I get my premises licence? | Licensing guidance

Premises Licence is required for any place where licensable activities occur.

Such activities include:

The Retail Sale of Alcohol (for which a personal licence is also required)
The provision of Regulated Entertainment
The provision of Late-Night Refreshment.

An application for a Premises Licence is made to the appropriate Licensing Authority. The premises licence application process involves the completion of an application form, the creation and submission of an effective Operating Schedule and scale plans. Notice of the application must also be posted in the local press and on the premises.

Inn Confidence provides a fixed-fee premises licence application service for those seeking the grant, variation or transfer of a premises licence, as well as for a range of other licensing applications.
Please click here for our premises licence application service or premises licence transfer application service.

Contact Inn Confidence today for further information on the licences you require and how to get licensed.