Selling Alcohol Online In the UK

What Licences do I need To Sell Alcohol Online For Delivery

The sale by retail of alcohol is a licensable activity and may only be carried out under the terms of a premises licence (or temporary event notice).

In terms of sales made online section 190 of the 2003 Licensing Act provides that the sale of alcohol is to be treated as taking place where the alcohol is ‘appropriated’ to the contract.
In other words, the location/warehouse that the order is stored, picked and dispatched from would hold the premises licence and not the call centre or website that had received the online order initially.

What Licence Will I Need?

In order to start online sales/delivery you will need a premises Licence and a personal licence. The personal Licence is granted to the individual and allows the holder to sell or authorise (other people) the sale of alcohol in accordance with and under the terms of the premises Licence.

Once you have your personal licence, you will nominate yourself to become the ‘designated premises supervisor’ and name yourself on the premises licence.
Every premises licence that allows the sale of alcohol by retail requires there to be a designated premises supervisor named.

To apply for a personal licence applicants must be 18 years of age or above and will need the following:

  • Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders Qualification Certificate  – you can get this by booking the course and exam here
  • Personal licence application form – obtained from local councils or licensing authorities
  • Disclosure and Barring Service certificate (this replaces the CRB check)
  • Two passport-size photos – signed by a professional to prove the identity of the applicant
  • Application fee – £37

 What About the Premises Licence?

An application for a premises licence is made to the licensing authority in the area where the premises (the warehouse/distribution centre) are situated. The application itself consists of:

  • Application form (sent either by post or electronically)
  • Operating Schedule
  • DPS details and a signed consent form (if application is for sale of alcohol by retail)
  • Plan of the premises in a specific format
  • Document showing the applicant is entitled to work in the UK
  • Application fee

The premises licence application will then need to be advertised

  • In the local newspaper and
  • An A4-size notice displayed on or outside the premises

 Inn Confidence Premises Licence Application Service

Inn Confidence provides a fixed-fee service for premises licence applications for the:

  • Grant of a new Premises Licence (£785 ex vat)

Prices exclude vat and licensing disbursements

 What does this cover?

  • Risk assessment by an experienced consultant
  • Liaison with the applicant and the responsible authorities
  • Preparation, completion & submission of all forms of application including the operating schedule
  • Preparation and the posting of notices for the premises and in the local press
  • Negotiation with any concerned parties throughout the 28 days consultation period

 What would be extra?

  • The cost of suitable layout plans to accompany the application (which we can arrange for you)
  • The newspaper notice fee (usually around £200-£300)
  • The licensing application fee (grant or full variation is usually £100 or £190)
  • Representation at a licensing hearing (if there are stubborn objections that cannot be negotiated away)

The premises licence application fee is based on the non-domestic rateable value of your premises, whether the premises are used ‘exclusively or primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises’ and whether you host any events with more than 5,000 attendees at time.


Why choose Inn Confidence?

  • Highly regarded and experienced licensing consultants
  • National coverage
  • Fixed-fee on all applications
  • Fully managed from consultation to completion

What next?

call 0151 558 1783 or complete the form below.