How Do I Get a Personal Licence?

Apply for a personal licence

A personal licence authorises a specified person to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol under the terms of a premises licence. Businesses such as pubs restaurants, off licences will all have a premises licence.

A personal licence is valid until it surrendered, suspended or forfeited – even if it has an expiry date on it.  The licence does not need to be renewed and will last indefinitely.

Who can apply?

Applicants for a Personal Licence need to apply to the local authority where they live, not for the area in which they work (if different)

You can apply if you:

  • are aged 18 or over
  • possess an accredited licensing qualification
  • have not given up a premises licence within 5 years prior to making an application
  • have not been convicted of any relevant offence

How to apply?

  • Two photographs of you (one must be countersigned as a true likeness)
  • Your original licensing qualification (BIIAB APLH – Click here)
  • Original Disclosure and Barring Service form – formally known as a CRB
  • Your disclosure of convictions and civil immigration penalties declaration form.
  • copy of your proof of right to work in the UK document
  • The application fee (£37)

Can my application be rejected?

The police do not normally receive a copy of your personal licence application, however they would if a relevant offence was disclosed on the application form or the disclosure certificate revealed an offence. The police are the only authority that can object to the application; they would do this if they felt that by granting the licence, it would undermine the crime prevention objective. The Police have 14 days to make an objection to the Application and will need to explain the reasons for their objection.

If the police object, then the local authority would hold a hearing in front of the licensing committee. If there are no objections and the applicant meets the criteria above, the application will be granted

What is a relevant offence?

  • Any licensing offence since 1964.
  • Firearms offences.
  • Dishonest offences such as theft or deception.
  • Driving whilst under the influence of drink and/or drugs.
  • Certain violent offences.
  • Some trading standards offences

A foreign offence is similar to a relevant offence but an offence committed outside of England and Wales. However, some convictions become spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and are no longer considered relevant to the personal licence application.

A full list of relevant offences can be found ‘here’

What are my duties as a personal licence holder?

A personal licence holder must inform the authority who issued the licence of any change of name and/or address. Failure to tell the authority is an offence and punishable with a Level 2 £500 fine.

A personal licence holder must also produce their licence for inspection to a police officer or an authorised officer of the licensing authority. This is only applicable if the holder is selling or authorising the sale of alcohol. This is also punishable with a level 2, £500 fine.

If charged with a relevant or foreign offence, a personal licence holder must inform the court, at their first court appearance, that they are the holder of a personal licence. Failure to inform the court is a criminal offence subject to a maximum Level 2, £500 fine.