Personal Licence Course / Exam Info
Personal licence online training & exam
Licensing law in England & Wales states that anyone who authorises the retail sale of alcohol must hold a personal licence. Those who wish to obtain a personal licence need to apply to their local authority. Applicants for a personal licence must first obtain a government approved licensing qualification such as the BIIAB Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH).
Inn Confidence only offer BIIAB personal licence online exams. Our online exams provide an instant result, free re-sits, and the opportunity to take your personal licence exam at home on your own laptop.
Our personal licence online at home APLH exam, is ideal for anyone who cannot dedicate a full day and those in a hurry for their exam result (instant result) and e-certificate FAST TRACKED (around 3-5 days)
Upon receipt of booking our system will automatically send you a
- Full booking confirmation
- APLH presentation
- APLH Handbook
- Mock exam to try out
- Exam schedule calendar – simply pick your own date / time
Please note – the exam will be conducted online and the result will be instant, this is not a paper based exam which would have results known 3 days later.
Step 1 – Make your personal licence online booking
Step 2 – You will receive your welcome email instantly which includes e-book and online presentation.
Step 3 – Let us know when you are ready for your exam and we will set you up.
Step 4 – Result provided instantly – no 5 day wait for your result.
- Study book and presentation sent upon booking
- Take exam at home or workplace at ANY time of day or night
- Results available immediately
- e-certificate fast tracked
- Just £99+vat
- Free unlimited re-sits
How much does It cost?
This includes all revision material, UNLIMITED exam attempts, exam fees and certificate.
There are no hidden extras!
- Take exam at home or workplace at ANY time of day (or night)
- Your own 1-1 exam – no other candidates
- Results available immediately
- Certificate fast tracked and normally back at our office within 3 days
- E-cert available within 24-72hrs
What type of equipment do I need?
- Laptop or desktop PC
- Built in web camera (or standalone) – most laptops have them as standard.
- We can help you set the exam up should you have any issues
What’s the exam like?
The BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders consists of 40 multiple choice questions. You must score at least 28 of the 40 questions correctly to pass the exam.
BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (QCF)
This qualification is aimed at anyone who wishes to work in licensed premises where alcohol is sold. You will look at licensing authorities; at the responsibilities of the personal licence holder; police powers; rights of entry; specific prohibitions; strengths of alcoholic drinks; responsible retail of alcohol; and the protection of children from harm.
On completion of this course, candidates will hold a licensing qualification with which they can apply for the personal licence.
Anyone who authorises the sale of alcohol to the public (as per the legal requirement in England and Wales) is required to have a suitable qualification.
The qualification comprises of:
- The roles, responsibilities and functions of licensing authorities within the framework of the licensing objectives
- The application process for a personal licence
- The role and legal responsibilities of the personal licence holder, and the penalties relating to failure to comply with the law
- The premises licence
- The content and purpose of operating schedules
- The role and duties of the designated premises supervisor
- Unauthorised and temporary licensable activities
- Rights of entry to licensed premises
- Police powers with regard to suspension and closure of licensed premises
- The specific prohibitions for the sale of alcohol
- The strengths of alcoholic drinks, and the effects of alcohol on the human body
- The protection of children from harm
- The responsible retail sale of alcohol.
Assessment: 40 Multiple choice questions
Apply for a personal licence after your exam
A personal licence is required by anyone authorising the sale of alcohol from a licensed premises. All licensed premises must have an allocated personal licence holder, known as the designated premises supervisor (DPS). The DPS must authorise every sale of alcohol.
In order to obtain a personal licence; applicants must be 18 years of age or above and will need the following:
- Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders Qualification Certificate (The original)
- Personal Licence application form – Obtained from local Councils or Licensing Authorities.
- Disclosure and Barring Service (this replaces the CRB check) – Can be obtained here for England and Wales.The cost of this is £18 (N.B – check valid for 28days)
- Two passport-size photos – Signed by a professional to prove the identity of the applicant – Click here for the list of who can sign (I hereby certify this as a true likeness of (applicants name) – Professionals name / Date / Job title)
- Application fee – £37
All of the above must be submitted to the local Council (where the applicant lives) in order to apply for the Licence to sell alcohol.
Personal Licence Application
The BIIAB are an accredited personal licence qualification provider. BIIAB stands for the British Institute of Innkeeping Awarding Body. Inn Confidence are authorised and regulated by the BIIAB.
BIIAB specialises in developing and awarding qualifications to support the licensed retail sector at all levels.
The personal licence exam is made up of 40 multiple choice questions. The pass mark is 28 / 40 which is 70%. Check out our mock exam here
You can take the personal licence exam at home on your own laptop or desktop computer. All study material is sent immediately upon receipt of booking and you are free to choose your own exam date/time. When you’re ready to take the exam, simply login to our exam software, take your 40 minute exam and you will be provided an instant result.
Upon receipt of booking you will be sent a course presentation, APLH workbook and link to our mock exam. How long you dedicate to the ‘homework’ is up to you but we recommend finding a quiet corner and dedicating some time to the study book (at least)
Yes – you will need a quiet space to take your exam and to satisfy exam requirements but most of our candidates take their exams at home (or work)
Currently our ‘in person’ exams are on hold. However, we will be looking to bring these back early 2021.
Instantly! Our exam system will tell you a result as soon as you press the ‘finish’ button. Your invigilator will then email you your result report within the hour.
Yes – click ‘here’ to access our mock exam
Yes – ‘here’ is our APLH mock exam.
You can also find the mock test answers ‘here’
£125+vat – there are no hidden extras.
This covers revision material, exam fees, instant result, free re-sits, e-certificate and original certificate. You can also add extra candidates for just £75+vat per person.
Laptop, desktop or tablet – the exam software needs to access the webcam/built in camera on the device.
The result is instant, e-certificate within 24-48hrs and original certificate will be posted to you within a few days.